The Midlands Leadership Academy has a range of offers for Primary Care colleagues to access to support effective leadership development.
Leadership in Primary Care refers to individuals’ role in guiding and directing healthcare delivery in primary care settings. Leadership in this setting aims to improve patient outcomes, increase the efficiency and effectiveness of healthcare delivery, and promote collaboration and teamwork among healthcare providers.
Influential leaders in Primary Care possess technical expertise, interpersonal skills, and strategic vision. As a result, they can motivate and inspire their teams to achieve common goals and are committed to continuously improving the quality of care provided to patients.
Primary care leaders include colleagues in General Practice, Primary Care Networks, ICS/ICB, Pharmacy, Optical and Dental. In addition to working with clinicians in these areas, we also support non-clinical staff to develop their leadership skills, including administrators, managers, and other staff responsible for overseeing the daily operations of Primary Care.
What we offer
Our goals are to develop the leadership capacity and capability across Primary Care in the Midlands and to provide clear, consistent and accessible leadership development offers for the range of people who work in Primary Care; supporting individuals, teams, networks and systems.
Individual leadership development: Through our range of eLearning and leadership programmes we support colleagues in Primary Care to understand their leadership competencies, values and behaviours. This leads to creating and promoting a positive, inclusive and people-centred culture that engages and inspires all our people to effectively lead service transformation.
- We offer coaching and mentoring support for our colleagues in Primary Care. Coaching and mentoring are both forms of guidance aimed at helping individuals achieve their personal and professional goals. Click here to access.
- The Leadership Learning Zone (LLZ) has been developed in the Midlands to provide organisations and individuals with a tool that will enable learning, enhance understanding and embed vital skills and knowledge that will contribute to the, physical and psychological well-being of our people and can be accessed free of charge by all NHS staff via the following link: www.leadershipnhs.uk. LLZ features a suite of 22 leadership learning modules.
- Join our Visible Leaders Network. The VLN is designed to support your career whether that be the next level up or into senior roles within the NHS. It is a network designed for Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) staff aimed at aspiring and emerging leaders and managers. Click here for more information.
- National Leadership Programmes. Our programmes are designed to help everyone in the NHS discover their full leadership potential and achieve the highest standards in health and care. Click here to access.
- The Foundations in System Leadership collaborating for health and care eLearning programme is open to all colleagues working in health, care, local authorities and voluntary sectors. Click here to access.
Network support and development: A range of interventions is offered to support the development of all Primary Care organisations including PCNs, GP Federations, GP partnerships, GP practices, Training Hubs, through their leadership and organisational development journeys.
- Graduate management scheme: As part of an expanded Graduate Management Training Scheme, the Midlands is ensuring that opportunities for trainees are more readily available in Primary Care.
- NHS Leadership Academy is working with apprenticeship providers to offer access to our leadership development programmes as part of apprenticeships. Click here to find out more about apprenticeships.
Our current offers and how to access
Our current offers can be accessed here on our events page. Click here to access. We encourage all our Primary Care colleagues to subscribe to our monthly newsletter – full of upcoming events, our range of leadership interventions and information for you or for you to share with your colleagues. Click here to subscribe.
- Primary Care Resources
- Connect with your local Training Hub
- Allyship Toolkit PDF
- Unconscious Bias Toolkit PDF
- Resource and Reflective Guide – Techniques to embed Population Health Management approaches in day-to-day work (V1.3) 13 April 2023
- Resource and Reflective Guide – Tackling Health Inequalities Through Population Health Management (V3.3) 13 April 2023
- Resource and Reflective Guide – Strategic Workforce Planning and Population Health Management (V2.3) 13 April 2023
- Population Health Management & Health Inequalities Presentation Lot 1 Final
- Population Health Management & Workforce Presentation Lot 2 Final
Senior Primary Care Programme Manager
I support the development of leadership capacity and capability across primary care in our region. I started this post in November 2022. I have previously worked for the national NHS Leadership Academy Clinical Leadership Development Team. I have extensive experience as a pharmacist in both primary and secondary care. My roles have included working in hospital, community pharmacies, academia and GP surgeries. I am passionate about supporting workforce development and the leadership needs of clinicians and managers.